Friday, September 10, 2010

the little things.

I must admit, I’m at the point of where I’m hitting the rock bottom of my U-curve. In this I mean I am really beginning to experience culture shock. I have been here for about 3 weeks and this is usually the time one begins to miss home. I sat in a transition seminar yesterday. The seminar was to focus on new students, the challenges they are facing, and how to continue to learn/ grow at NEGST. Most of the students were Kenyan, but there is another American, one South Korean, and a couple students from neighboring countries so our class alone was very international. In the end, the seminar was beneficial. And now there is this unspoken understanding between us (esp the internationals). I said “hi” to the south Korean guy in Korean (thanks janey for teaching me) and the smile on his face said it all. It was something from home. Or I constantly talk to Fred, he’s from Georgia, about the States because we both know, this isn’t home yet. We are adjusting and we are in this pamoja (together).

We sat for about an hour discussing our “losses”. That was depressing. At one point the instructor asked me what I miss about my culture, since I hadn’t said a word since the start of the seminar. I told her I miss Mexican food. I mean, I miss more than just Mexican food….I miss driving in my car, hanging out in Lakehood, being with my BU girls, laughing with my friends, going to 1BL, and having a latte! And frankly, I miss warm weather. As would have it, I came with my cali clothes not intending to need a warm jacket, umbrella, shoes, socks, etc and to my horror, rainy season is in the near future.

I am in the frustrating stage of my visit. Nothing is routine. I have to boil water to take a shower since my shower heater is still broken, and today, I couldn’t even turn on the stove! Not to sound whiney, but this is just where I am. I know that I need to give myself time. It’s okay that I don’t know how to work a gas stove, or that I don’t have many friends (lets be real, I have like 5). It’s okay that I wear sandals every day because that is what I brought and that I constantly watch movies so that I can see places from home. It’s okay that I am the only single woman in my whole dept/ and I’m sure the whole school, and to top it off, one who cant cook rice. This is who I am.

Even with all this, I have beautiful moments of blessings. Monday morning I woke up not knowing where my class was, let alone the time and I came across a lady name Janice. She’s from Minnesota (yay Quad!) and she gave me some really important information, and also helped me figure out my class schedule. Tuesday I met a girl named Caroline who was such a blessing. She came to visit me at school. It was so refreshing meeting a Kenyan girl my age, going to school, and just relating on life. And then yesterday, I met a guy named Ben. He is Canadian American who has lived in Africa most of his life so he’s African by culture (its complicated) but nonetheless, he invited me for Taco Night (on Friday) at his place with his family and some other American students. And as we Americans know, we love our tacos!

So, this week has been draining. I’m trying not to isolate myself, which I can easily do, but also to recognize that when I’m tired and ready for some alone time, that I can have that as well. I got to talk to Royce and Ashleigh today on skype! I need to see these faces, and yours too!!!!!!! I need more skype dates people, im only in class 4 hours a week soooo….you get my drift.

Next time you bite into a chipotle taco, or eat chik fila nuggets, or enjoy that nice warm latte, think of me! I surely miss you all.

Shalom.

ps congrats to my dear dear friend jessica on the birth of her son, Josiah Matthew Wilkinson!!! I celebrate with you <3

Thinking aloud: I’ve been thinking about heaven lately. Maybe because I have been listening to Phil Wickham this past week and his new cd is all about us going home. And I’ve been envisioning all of God’s people singing praises in one voice. Lately I’ve just been listening to people worship, esp if its in Kiswahili. One, because lets be frank, I have not mastered the language yet, but also because it’s a new experience to hear people worship in a language I don’t speak. Its beautiful. I am just able to sit, in the presence of my family, listening to them praise the One. Think about it, when we are all in the presence of the Lord…singing one song or maybe many different songs in different languages, and yet, we completely and utterly understand and comprehend what is being worshiped. That is a moment I cannot wait to experience.

3 comments:

  1. Stay strong girl...even though I'm not there anymore I know exactly how you feel...I was there for a month. Coming home was a shock in itself...food is everywhere(ready to eat) unlike Kenya. But you are growing stronger through all of this :)And girl you crazy, Kenya coffee is way better than any latte. Choose to make the best out of every situation...because you are one strong cookie missy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a verse for you, it's found in Habakkuk 3:19
    "The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights".
    Treading on the heights is hard, cause it's steep and slippery, and unfamiliar and scary. When God makes you surefooted, He's gonna keep you safe and you can have the confidence to tread on the steep, uneven path. Claim this verse! I pray that God will give you confidence to walk this path and "Enjoy the View". Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, I totally get where you are coming from! Although I have yet to hit the bottom of the U-curve yet.... I am thinking October will be my bottom. :) Perhaps we should plan to get together?

    I am also on the verge of craving Mexian... hmm tacos! However, the lattes- you can get in Nairobi. Go to Ya-Ya center, the mattatu can drop you there from Karen. And (at least a few years ago) there was a coffee shop on the bottom floor that served amazing lattes!

    Also, do you have a cell phone in Kenya? If so, I think we can chat with our phones. email me or facebook me and let me know.

    Love ya!

    Emily Pohl

    ReplyDelete