It’s hard to believe that its already been one week that I’ve arrived. How time has already flown! Ill be back in the states in no time : ) I must say, I’m glad I took an extra week to adjust to Kenya and bum around, instead of jumping right in. I’m only going to be specific about the first day since the rest of them kinda run together….
Day 1: I arrive to Kenya around 8 am on Tuesday. Our plane got delayed in London for some time and after sitting in Heathrow for 13 hours, I was more than ready to get on a jet (which is NEVER the case!). I sat in the smallest seat ever, which for me is a lot to say as you all know. But at least the Lord blessed me with some good company around. I met this couple who are from London that were vacationing in Kenya for a week. They were presh. The only good music on the plane was Justin Bieber so due to the 9 hour flight, I have become a fan. I should strongly suggest that he come to Kenya, ill fb his people.
Once I touched down I went to immigration, got my visa, and headed down to get my luggage. And this next sentence will only humor my Jamaica team in 2006. But as usual, my luggage once again got injured along the journey. Not only was a whole wheel torn off, but it was on my enormous green suitcase which weighed half as much as myself. So as you can all imagine, the sight of me trying to lug around my gimpy suitcase with 3 other luggage pieces was a sight to see. Finally a Kenyan guy got me a trolly haha.
And then the moment of truth happens, I see Steve walking towards me. Can I just say, WOW!!!! Without seeing him for over a year, I forgot just how handsome he is. I surely lost my breath. We walked to the car with the tons of luggage in hand. Lets be honest, I was super quiet. I was so nervous and in this surreal place I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming. So we just sat there, in the quiet, not sure what to say. But that wasn’t so bad. I think we both realized how long it had been and was thinking what this next chapter looks like for us. That time passed and we started talking about the flight, friends, recent events, etc. And we picked up right where we left off.
When we arrived to NEGST (my school) my room wasn’t ready so I had to then move my stuff to the orphanage I worked with last summer, BYGRACE. Which was the BEST thing for me. Seeing familiar faces was what I needed. Those children captured my heart once again. It was good to see the home and the improvements that have been made within the last year. Being at the home was when I knew I had made the best decision in coming back to Kenya. I felt God say, “this is why you are here. To serve me and grow in your relationships with these people and for the new friends youre going to meet. Trust me”. I spent the next couple nights at the home, playing, listening, praying, and sharing with the kids and those who were at the home.
Today, September 3, 2010:
I have moved into my room on campus. Its pretty cute. I live in the attic which I love. It’s the basics in my room, a bed, desk, and a lounge chair but im good with that. I live across from the kitchen which is nice and I have a bathroom right next door too. I share the one side of the house with another girl. She is from Malawi. I haven’t met her yet but I believe we’ll become friends. I will do a video blog on it so you can see what it actually looks like. I have to go register for a class now so I am cutting this short.
I know this is long, but it has been a week. I have internet now so I should be able to update more frequently.
Thinking aloud:
This is where I need to be. I have no doubt about it. Even when I am stressed and I feel like a chicken taco from chipotle is all that will make things better haha, I have made the right decision and I’m stepping on a path that I know the Lord is paving before me.
shalom, <3
Gurl!!!!! I am so happy that you are there, safe. So sorry about another suite case tragedy :(
ReplyDeleteKeep us up-to-date; we love you! Karra & Craig
Good to hear that you are at peace with where you are. I'll pray for this peace to continue. Erin
ReplyDeleteGirl,
ReplyDeleteI love you and its so good to hear about what is happening in Kenya. Keep updating!
-Karla