Monday, September 20, 2010

the A, B, C's

It’s hard to imagine that I am approaching my one month (24th) mark here in Kenya. I honestly feel as though I’ve been here for much longer than that but making the transitional steps at a turtle’s pace. Spending most of my college career being trained to adjust in different cultures by researching case studies and being submersed in different “plunges” throughout my time at Biola, I still find myself wondering where all that knowledge went. Sometimes I feel as though I’m starting all the way over, but then I hear the voices of Murray and Dr. Greene in the back of my mind and I realize, I have a good understanding of all this. I have to keep thinking I’m making progress, from continuing to learn new words in Swahili to turning on the gas stove for the first time. And time is on my side, even when I truly believe it can be my worst enemy.

And moments when I cannot fathom anymore “transitioning” I am blessed by something that only God can bring about. This week: my first, steaming, relaxing, hot shower. Now let me expand on this because it is surely worth it and well, you’re stuck here reading it. I have never felt something so glorious in a long, long time. I thought, “hot showers are convenient”. No they are not, they are a LUXURY!!!!!!!! I was there for quite some time, soaking it all in, and knowing it would be awhile until the next one comes into view. For those of you who have been without a hot shower at any length of time know exactly what I mean, can I get an AMEN! : )

This week was an interesting one and the start of routine. I started my class for the first time (Wed/ Thurs), a week later than other students since my professor was gone, and we had to just jump right in. And ‘surprisingly’, we have a paper due this week. We were supposed to have 4 sessions before this monstrosity, but yet we got a small 1.5. So, now I’m beginning a very new and frustrating relationship with the library. I already have my special spot in the whole place where I can get WiFi (for those facebook updates haha) and a window so I can catch a glimpse of the outside world going about its business.

We also had what we call “grace groups” for the first time on Friday. It’s an hour and half time spent on fellowship. The idea behind it is to bring together the whole campus (students, faculty, staff, etc) and spending time pamoja (together) in sharing life, relating to one another, and discussing the issues we face. It’s actually pretty cool. And interestingly, there is an American, Seattle-based guy in my group! (im telling ya, it’s the little things)

And as my taco night tradition continues, it was well worth it! It ended up down pouring right before Steve and I were going to leave for the neighbors (and yes, I don’t have an umbrella!) So, we had to stay put for some time but luckily as Kenyan weather would have it, it was here to say hello and made a quick visit before the rain was on its way. I have truly enjoyed my time with my new friends. There was a full house -which made it so much more entertaining. Guest included: a faculty couple, my friend Fred and his wife (she’s Canadian), and a woman from Connecticut visiting NEGST. We talked about topics such as the road system in Nairobi and metropolitans in the States, the pendulum of church dominations and how the socio-economics of the congregation influence surrounding churches/ people, medical coverage/ insurance, schooling for children/ higschoolers, and other random issues found within Kenyan and American society. I continue to learn many things while chowing down on my taco.

As I type this on a Sunday night, I am tired. Not only because I had to leave the house at 6:30a to make it to church (and I was still late), but I am also finding one of the hardest adjustments I’m making is attending Steve’s church. IBL, I MISS YOU!!!!!!!! I’m used to my home church where ppl know my history, family, and well, my life and yet I sit among 2,000 people in one service feeling quite overwhelmed (estimated 12,000 total attendants). This is the first church I’m attending in over 22 years and it isn’t an easy walk in the park for me.

With all that, I was able to experience a 3 year olds Sunday school class after my early service. Trying to entertain and tame 80 younglings is no easy task. We were in this small classroom singing ‘Jesus loves me’, and ‘Toto Yesu, Nakupenda’ (Baby Jesus, I love you), along with trying to do the infamous motions to ‘Father Abraham’ is a sight to behold! But with all that madness, I found myself at home. I am meant to do Childrens Ministry. I absolutely LOVED the teary eyed, stuffy nose, feisty but happy little campers. It was exactly what I needed today.

And as promised, I will be posting pictures of NEGST, Karen/ Nairobi, and my room within this week. I still have yet to finish decorating but some stuff has made the walls. I’d like to be done with it all by the end of the week. I’ll also include a “list” of the things I miss from home. So if you’re at all interested in sending a small care package, by all means, do not hesitate!!! (my address is on the blog)

Thinking Aloud: I’m reading this book by Bruce Main titled, “Why Jesus Crossed the Road: Where you go says a lot about who you are”. This book has been really relevant to my life these days. He talks about “road crossings” in our lives, moments where we cross the boundaries of fear/ comfort/ misunderstandings/ etc. to experience and share life with those we would tend not to associate with. “If we read the Gospel narratives as merely a travel itinerary, what would it reveal about Jesus and his disciples? Sit down and map out the journey of Jesus during his three years of public ministry. What do his stops say about his interests, concerns, faith, mission, commitments, and purposes”? (p. 4).

I am facing new insights on crossing every day and yet, I find myself knowing I need to make more, deeper crossings with those in my community, esp outside the gates of NEGST. I wonder, how are you doing? Are you daily thinking of new people you can cross paths with? Or is it the same ole’ all the time? Just something to think about…

No comments:

Post a Comment