Monday, July 9, 2012

summa summa summa time!

Ashlee and I in our fall ensembles : )

Jamie and I in Mathare North, Kenya 
My little friend and neighbour Moze. I teach him English in exchange for  hugs : )
Hello friends! I hope the many doses of Vitamin D has left your
spirits happy and light hearted. Yesterday was the first sunny
California summer type day and I absolutely LOVED it! I wore a
sundress, sandals, and sunglasses. Nothing could bring me down! Jamie,
the intern for ByGrace this summer, and I went out and enjoyed the
warmth of the sun and had some yummy frozen yoghurt. Yes, there's 'fro
yo' in Kenya! She's from San Diego and we just looked like two
happy-go-lucky young ladies finding joy in the little things.

I sincerely apologize for not contacting you for awhile time. I have
been busy with visitors and teams from the US that when I get home
after a really long day, I'm so tired all I want to do is eat, watch a
movie, and sleep. But I am looking forward to sharing with you now how
its been the last couple weeks. My days have been filled with so many
fun moments and random adventures, one update just won't do but I
shall try to convey it all.

June- What a month! As some of you know, my friend Ashlee Morgan from
Biola (grad 2011) crossed the Atlantic to see me. She was on my Biola
Kenya 2009 team and we hit it off from the beginning. I haven't seen
Ash in 3 years so to hear she was coming, I was filled with so many
emotions! I was soo excited to have a familiar face come to me, esp
with not being able to come home this summer. But I was nervous that
maybe we wouldn't get along. Well, those nerves were immediately blown
away once I saw her on my doorstep. I jumped in her arms, literally.
And I just started screaming and yelling "girl, done". We couldn't
stop laughing and talking about our memories of Kenya those years
before. She was visiting for 3 weeks for the purpose of a 'visionary'
trip. i
Ashlee and I both graduated from the Intercultural Studies department
at Biola, so naturally we have a lot in common. She is now planning to
put her education to good use and relocate back to Kenya in 2013.
Which means, I will have a roommate!!! We had such a good time making
chapati pizza (picture below), dancing to Micheal Jackson in the
living room, and playing Uno with our friends weekly. She will be
working with a partner organization African Evangelical Enterprise,
AEE, for her year in Kenya, along with coming over to ByGrace to help
with us in tutoring the children after school. She was a true ad real
blessing to me, in so many ways and as usual, God knew what he was
doing with timing and friendship. Her visit was exactly what I needed
to receive!

Along with Ashlee flying the many miles, there are currently 2 teams
serving with ByGrace. One team is at our Soweto (a slum in Nairobi)
sight doing VBS and building relationships. This team is from Southern
California who is led by my friend James Cho (Biola). The first time I
saw James a week ago on  his visit, he happily reminded me of the
first time we met. He said, "I remember when I met you first, you were
in bed sick with malaria and typhoid. Do you remember that?" I
responded, "James, how can I forget death on earth?! Let's not go down
that memory lane". We just laughed and updated each other on how life
has been these last 3 years. The other returning team is from a
non-prof org called Foundation For Peace, led by the president Ken
Culver (www.foundationforpeace.org) I also met Ken 3 years during my
time in Kenya. I absolutely enjoyed this man! He made me laugh when I
felt like crying, and since he is a doctor, reassured me I would make
it home alive and made sure I was recovering. So, another reunion of
sorts when I saw him a week ago. His teams work with ByGrace in Ngong
along with our partner church in Mathare North (one of the largest
slums in Nairobi) visiting homes in the community and having a weekend
medical clinic (more on that later!)

So, as you can see, I had just talked about ONE month, and we are half
through this one so time has flown by!

July- First let me say, this is the best month out of the year for
many reasons. But mainly because I'll be celebrating my birthday in
t-minus 12 days (21st). I will be turning 26 which boggles my mind. I
hope to go bowling with some friends and eat really unhealthy food ha!
Anyway, the last two weeks have been filled with good times and
challenging moments. Jamie, the summer intern, is living with me and
we have hit it off!!! She's from San Diego so it was destined to be an
epic friendship and wow, we just don't stop talking! She and I have
surprisingly gotten so close in just about 10 days, I love how God
just knows who to bring in our paths at just the right time. She will
be graduating in Dec and is very interested in missions. She was in
Kenya last summer with a Biola team and has now returned. It's been
great getting to know her, her thoughts about where God is leading
her, and having really good conversations about culture, Kingdom
service, and the struggles I face as a missionary. She has got me
thinking which is soo good! She has another 2 weeks here which I know
will be filled with great adventures. We are hoping to take a mini get
away to the coast, Mombasa, for some much needed sunshine and rest. I
will greatly miss her when she leaves but I know the Lord has given me
a lifelong friend!

Jamie and I tagged along to a medical clinic organized by FFP this
last Saturday. I haven't been back to Mathare since 2009 and so it was
good to return to that community. I was able to help with the clinic
along with doing a personal home visit. I met 6 beautiful children
living in a one room shack with no running water or sanitary plumbing
(no toilet). One of the girls, Cynthia, is HIV positive. She is 8. The
day I met these little ones, they hadn't had food that whole day. The
problem that people face in these situations is if there is a need for
medicine for an illness, but no food, the medicine can't be taken.
Thus the case for Cynthia. She hasn't taken her ARVs in 3 days. My
friend said she has become more weak as the days go by. So, we went
out, bought some bread, milk, and sweets and gave them to these kids.
I watched as one of the older girls (maybe 12 yrs old?) start a one
burner stove top and prepare the fire with kerosene and rope to boil
the milk for tea. When I was 12, I was running around in dirt and
eating fast food. This girl cares for her siblings while her mom is
out looking for work. Seeing these faces made the reality of slum life
tangible. I'm still sitting in my thoughts, how the Lord asks me to
respond, and being active about it.

Onto other news- Another girl from the US, Katy, is on her way to
Kenya. She will be staying with us in a week's time, enjoying some
girl time, along with visiting ByGrace and some community outreach
ministries in Nairobi. I'm looking forward to meeting her. And my good
friend Shana is finally flying back to the motherland this week and we
will be sharing life really soon. I had asked for you all to pray for
me as I enter into this season of staying in Kenya and hosting
vistors, because I wasn't sure how it was all going to work out. I had
been praying, Lord give me what I need, my daily bread. And of course
the Lord isn't just about a loaf, he is about a BAKERY! I couldn't
have imagined the Godly interactions, experiences, and the clear ways
he has provided not only financially for me, but in deeper ways. I've
been going through some major life changes and he has brought the best
women to come alongside me in this time to walk with me. And yet, I
was only expecting some Wonder Bread loaf, typical me.

So, thank you for praying for me. Your prayers have not only been
answered, but have come to life! I haven't had this much fun and
enjoyment in a really long time! I really appreciate you all, I truly
do. I want to show my gratefulness to you the best way possible, by
coming home for the holidays!!! Granted, I am needing some funds for
this flight home as prices have truly gone through the roof!, but
please be praying for this door to open and be affordable. My visa
expires in October so that's when I plan to board a jetplane. I
haven't been home for the last 3 Christmases and my family is about
ready to dislodge Kenya from Africa and place it in California so this
journey home is long over due! I hope to be home for 2 months (woo
hoo!). I haven't purchased the ticket just yet, mainly because I don't
have the funds to do so, but I'm also trying to find cheap flights.
When I get home, expect to see me running towards you and jump in your
arms, and sharing life over some Starbucks!!

You all are the best! I think of you often and pray for you as well. I
am so thankful to you all, even I don't express it as often as I'd
like. May the Lord bless you and those you love this summer season and
may we reunite this fall and jolly season coming ahead!


Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment