



Greetings from wet Kenya!
Well, it has finally arrived. The welcomed blessing of rain and it poured today. I'm a bit surprised I have electricity. So I must take the rare opportunity to blog. I know it's been some time since I last wrote. I was busy closing up school (ByGrace), getting notices home to parents, wrapping up teacher meetings, and making students are taking their end of term exams. Imagine- its mid April!
Now I'm on a month leave- with no real plans of traveling far. And if the rains don't let up, I'll be staying warm and snuggled in my house, beneath the covers, reading a good book or two. I wanted to share with you the moments I find time standing still. They are few and far between, but perfect when it happens.
I was sitting under the tent for a our closing school assembly. The sun was just appearing through the clouds, since it decided to hide behind them most of the day. And the sound of 100 kids singing praise songs to Jesus was filling my ears. i just closed my eyes and soaked it in. When I opened, my nursery kids were jumping around, singing at the top of their lungs, completely off tune (and beat). It was what I call a 'kingdom moment'. I know it will be exactly like that, the sound of God's children frolicking around, smiles as wide as the ocean, singing to their Daddy. Time stood still.
I was riding in a matatu (small overcrowded van) when I looked out the window out onto the plains and hills of Ngong. The hills were a luscious green with low clouds hovering around them, making it look as though the hills were playing a sneaky game of hide and seek. The sun was setting, the wind smelling crisp, and the beautiful words of swahili filling the van. I couldn't help but smile. "I live in Africa" was my epiphany. Time stood still.
I was sitting with Barb at the coffeeshop, holding back tears of frustration of not being home. The gentle response of a close friend, completely understanding my difficulty in being tired, lonely, and homeless. Barb is from Huntington Beach, just 10 minutes south of Long Beach. And yet, we met 11,000 miles from our shoreline. Being able to recollect the smells, sights, and eateries of PCH was just what I needed. She gets me, all of me. And just the person to put a genuine smile on my face. Time stood still.
It's really in those moments where I feel God most. It's in those quiet minutes, where I get a peace that I've been searching for, craving for. And He meets me there. It's just us, our moment, our stand still.
I won't lie, I have had an interesting and draining month. And I'm left with the question: whats next? Kenya may be coming to a close sooner than I expected, I might return with a new vision in mind, or venture onto some place new. All I know, this chapter is closing. Not sure when, but the final pages are being written. I just feel it. And it feels good.
As usual, wanted to share with you some glimpses of Kenya:
1.) Yup, these are the sunsets, just perfect. (Thinking of you Amy!)
2.) This was a postcard sent from a 4th grade girl at LCS who wrote, "Do you like your principle? She is my friend". Thank you Grace, I like you too : )
3.) A view of Ngong in a matatu. The clouds are so close, you want to touch them!
4.) 'american doughnut'. well, thank you Kenya for generalizing. Wont lie, its the most caloric, sugary pastry option they offer. Typical. : )
Shalom.
No comments:
Post a Comment