Thursday, June 2, 2011

antiques and gardens


**seal beach main**

**lovin me some florals**


**pot pot**

**the garden shack**

**lantern lovely**


**javatini**

**i love lady bugs**


**scent friendly**






I must say, LIFE IS A JOURNEY! And I feel as though I am traveling a lot these days; whether physically or emotionally. I have officially been home for 14 days and I am not wasting time. Granted, I already feel behind which I think is the culture here. And I honestly have many things to do while I am stateside, BUT I need not forget that I am resting, rejuvenating, and replenishing myself along the way.

The flight over here wasn't too bad, but sitting in Heathrow airport for 17 HOURS was not ideal. I was encouraged to spend my time meeting new people and reading and thats what I did. I took the plunge in introducing myself to random travelers and I was pleasantly surprised! I met a girl named Alissa during my overnight at Heathrow. We both had been traveling for some time (she was on her way to Turkey from NYC) and so we ended up chatting most of the night about life, school, aspirations, and the need to keep traveling. It was really good connecting with her. We had a lot in common! Then on my long flight back to LA, my row partner was a young girl from LA flying home from visiting her boyfriend who lives in London. We also had a lot to talk about. She works in the fashion industry and so it was interesting to be updated on where the trends have been taken through the past seasons. I'll admit, I was way out of the loop.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted with reverse culture shock. Those who have lived abroad know EXACTLY what I mean. I tend to always feel that way coming out of LAX, but it was really strange. Merging onto a free way, people driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, and all the luxurious vehicles putting along the nicely paved-white lined roads. As tradition holds, my first meal was chipotle. I have been craving my 'tres tacos' for some time now and my tastebuds were very grateful for the sensation of new types of food. (I have gained 3 lbs since being back!!)

I have been staying with some of my 'tribe' girls near Biola and it has surely been just what I needed. These girls are the most amazing women I know on this side of the planet and their hearts are one of a kind. It's refreshing to live with friends who are like minded, always on a search for something greater, and in our own way, bringing peace and restoration to those around us, the surrounding community, and ultimately, the world we live in.

"wherever you are, it's your friends who make your world"- william James

I'm adjusting to life here which I know that when it's time for me to go home (late August), I will feel like I just started feeling comfortable again. That's usually the case for me. In some way it feels like I never left, but I also realize that maybe nothing has changed here, but everything about me has. It's a blessing to have a community where my relationships pick up where they were left and I credit that to the intentional ways myself and friends have made to keep our lives intertwined.

I attended 1BL my first Sunday back and it was good. It was important for me to reconnect with my home church, hug close friends, and here all the exciting new adventures that are being embarked upon within ministry. There were some happy tears and warm embraces. I have surely missed my 'home' church while away in Kenya.

I have decided to extend my stay in California for a couple reasons. One: if I were to leave in late June, it would be just to short of a stay. Two: I need to really rest before I head back for full time ministry/ missions. Three: I desire to deeply connect with my family, friends, and community; Four: I am fundraising for my living expenses in Kenya and so I need time to prepare and share my vision when I return. Five: I need to tan! : )

My time thus far has been good overall. I definitely have moments of missing Kenya, but I know I am returning. There is that feelign of disconnect between both places but that is to be expected. Both communities (US/ Kenya) have been very interested in my life in both places and for that, I am grateful and able to in some way, piece together both worlds. I want to soak in all my time here- listening to the Lord, spending quality time with those I love, enjoying the sound of the waves and the warmth of the sun, and having a starbucks or two every day.

*I titled this blog because I have been able to visit and enjoy different antique shops and outdoor gardens within the last 2 weeks. I am always amazed at how old things hold so much history and nature reveals the beauty of God. I will give names and locations of places I've been too in another blog so hopefully you can also enjoy these sights!*

I pray for healing, restoration, and deepening of relationships while here. I will be posting a blog soon about one certain adventure I had this past week with my roommate from Biola, April. It will surely have you rolling on the floor laughing, its too good for words!

I appreciate you reading about my life. It's a blessing.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment