Thursday, January 13, 2011

fellowship&swallowship

I thought I’d write after the holidays since I knew that if I were to write before it was all over, I would have a lot to say and posting a blog one right after the other. So, I’m going to wrap up my festive experience in Kenya.

This was my first Christmas away from home. I certainly missed the holly jolly cheer of the holidays. I missed the red, green, and shiny decorations and the over load of consumerist commercials showing me what I have to get my hands on, and doing the traditional activities that have become so routine.

But no worry, I brought some of those necessities across the Atlantic to the continent of Africa. I had the second annual ‘Kwanzaanukah’ in Kenya with close friends. Even though it was different from the first, it was surely memorable. Btw, ‘Kwanzaanukah’ is a holiday I made up. I thought, just because I don’t celebrate Kwanzaa or Hanukah surely doesn’t mean I can’t combine the both and invite others for festive foods and fun. I’m thinking this holiday will catch on like a wild fire.

There was a lot of SWALLOWSHIP during my holidays. I also got to enjoy different holiday events such as my first cookie exchange. I mean what could really go wrong with women, cookies, and crafts?! Along with learning to cook in Kenya, I am also learning to bake! I also got to share time with friends from school a couple nights before Christmas, learning what this time means in other countries such as Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, and Zambia. The common factor: the importance of family and the true meaning of Christmas. I thought, how nice, a Kenyan fig tree decorated with twinkle lights, Swahili Christmas music, and goodies for all to enjoy from different countries: that’s Christmas in the Kingdom of God!

I spent my Christmas day inside, even though it was a good 75 degrees outside. It was my warmest Christmas. I was able to surprise Steve that morning before our breakfast with friends with some small gifts. What a blessing to give to those you love. For most of the day, I enjoyed eating and watching movies with the Byerly family. We ate ham and potatoes, watched Elf, and sang carols.

My new year was spent with some friends, watching documentaries on inventions (haha, yes I am a nerd), making fresh mango juice, and dancing the night away. It was very low key, just how I like it.

Being on a month long break, I got to travel a bit. I was able to go to a place called Nakuru for the weekend. On your way there, you can look out on the Rift Valley and I even tried to look the bright pink flamingos at Lake Nakuru but the van was moving a bit to fast. I then spent 4 days at the coast called Mombasa. I must say, the beach was beautiful and the water was so warm is like swimming in a Jacuzzi. But the humidity made it unbearable. I got bit by mosquitoes, had an allergic reaction to my deet spray, and burned so bad I looked like a walking red pepper. Nonetheless, being away from Nairobi was nice and needed. And most recently I went to visit my roommate’s home village in a place called Machakos. It’s about an hour away from town, but it had a very different landscape than the city. It was so green!

And now I’m back in Karen and feeling more at home. I’ve been getting packages from the States that were sent at least 2 months prior, which has also lifted my spirits. I started my one class last Friday. It’s called Power Encounter and I’m not exactly sure what that fully means, but I know I will learn about inner healing ministry and deliverance from spiritual warfare, etc.

I am also gearing up for the incoming teams that ByGrace will be hosting come the summer time. I am contacting people here for projects and ministry opportunities, along with starting a new project for the children at the home in regards to making connections for them to stay with local families for the holidays. Most my time will be spent at ByGrace, which I’m very much looking forward to!

THINKING ALOUD:
I just finished a book about the challenges of transitions in life. It took me awhile to complete it, but each chapter was read at just the right time. I am learning to live while in the desert of transition. I can still flourish and fellowship in moments where I feel lost or misunderstood. Here’s a quote from the book that blessed me: “God has provided for us to follow, feast and fellowship, to find fun and not forget his great goodness through out days; as we choose to allow him to redeem our travails and embrace the freedom of our hearts; as we learn what it means to be found in Christ in the midsts of our darkness and to even flourish there…then our heart bows in worship to this Lord of the wilderness, this God for whom no detail is too trivial, this God who discerns our pain and has compassion on us”. –Jane Rubietta, Grace Points

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment