Wednesday, December 8, 2010

butternut squash

I thought I’d start off this update on a festive note…I absolutely positively enjoyed Thanksgiving in Kenya. I was invited to a married couples house, who just so happen to both teach at AIU, for some good quality time with some yummy food and close friends. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to be. I made the infamous “Lawrence butternut squash” dish, which was gobbled up within the first ten minutes of being displayed as it sat next to some scrumptious stuffing, plump potatoes, home made pies, and two TURKEYS!
As stated earlier, we met some very special people. It was mainly faculty there, wanjiru, eve (room mate) and myself made up the students, and then there were people from a local church called Vineyard. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and Amy who just arrived in Sudan this past September traveling all the way from Carlsbad, Ca. I instantly bonded with them (as one can guess) and we enjoyed talking about the transition from cali-life to Africa-life. They are in Nairobi for a mini R&R time before heading back to Sudan and running a medical clinic for the next two years.I am having dinner with them tomorrow (at JAVA Stephanie Sudman!!) to share stories and encourage one another, as we are both beginning new chapters on the continent.
School has officially finished, woo hoo! I felt as though it took so long to just get through week 7, but now I realize it has all just flown by. Its crazy to think I’ve only been here for 3 months, it seems as though I’ve been here for years but everything is still fresh and new and I’m still suffering from sharbucks withdrawals and the ever present craving for Chipotle and Chik-fila.
I am planning for a weekend on the coast, FINALLY! I have been waiting to see pieces of my homeland ever since I arrived and the time is here. We are staying on the ‘north beach’ of the island Mombasa, just soaking up the sun and warm weather. And now I feel as though I can finally wear my ‘cali’ clothes since lately I’ve just been layering to keep warm. It is time for my sun dresses to see some …sun!
I have about a month off from school, which I’m filling with laziness, eating, watching movies, and well, more laziness. I don’t plan to leave Nairobi much this time.

Enjoy the holiday season with Christmas trees, mistletoe, and hearing the jolly blonde lady on the ever-entertaining Target holiday commercials! ( I know I am!)

Shalom.


Thinking Aloud:
As I listen to Jon Foreman’s song “Love is Strong”, I am realizing that my quiet time and places of solitude have been non-existent. I know that since I’m learning how to live life here and that requires a lot of time and energy, I shouldn’t leave out my time of meditation and prayer. I also observe that since I have yet to find a specific ministry to be involved in, that also aids to this absence. This area is one not only needing improvement, but authentic effort and persistence. It’s not just a weekly or a monthly time, it’s a daily committed time to deepen my relationship and understanding of who God is, and that in and of itself, is THE important area of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment