I’m typing away in my comfy chair, candles lit in the background, and enjoying the holiday. This is a rare moment in my life haha. I know this update has been in the making for some weeks now. And as we all know, many things happen during a week, or in one single day. So bare with me as I try to unpack the last couple weeks.
School: We are in our 7th week, which only leaves 3 weeks to go. I was telling my academic advisor how bizarre it is for me to only be in school for 10 weeks. She attended Talbot so she understands where I am coming from. Its like when I just start to get the hang of things academically, its all over. My class is still giving me difficulty but my fellow peers have encouraged me to press on. The Lord shall bring us through! I’ve been thinking about how I want to spend my time at AIU (the university is going through a name change of sorts and so now I’m technically under the School of Professional studies at African International University, not NEGST.) I am not planning to graduate from AIU and therefore I am thinking I will look into more options into picking courses next term from all departments instead of just Christian Ed. I would like to get a class that I cant receive back home so maybe something with a more African perspective.
Church: I can say now that I have found a church. It’s called Nairobi Chapel and is known world-wide. I was able to sit with the senior pastor, Oscar, this last Sunday with fellow NEGST students. I truly enjoyed my time hearing his vision to partner with NEGST students and what that may look like. (there was a group from Florida and one of the guys is a starbucks barista! : ) , im telling you I meet random ppl) I am feeling as though this is where the Lord is leading me thus far and a place where I can begin to do ministry. I was attending NPC for a while, but I always found myself having a really hard time feeling connected. I was just feeling as though I was a number. So now that I’ve been exposed to Chapel, I plan to stick with them.
Friends: I am learning to continually be myself around people. I had a rough couple weeks wondering who were truly my friends and also whom I can trust and I am figuring that out as time goes on. I have surely been missing friends back home. I miss just being able to be myself and not worry that what I say will immediately be used against me or be completely misunderstood. And to top it off, I missing birthdays or events that people plan so now I’m beginning to see that I am not home. HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILY AND KARLA!
Life: Well, it surely isn’t easy over here. But I know that I am on a journey of myself and on the path of discovery of others and the world. I rode to town by myself last weekend and that was a big step for me. so, slowly but surely I’m getting to gain footing here.
Thinking Aloud: I was in the library this past week (which should happen more frequently) and I came across a book called Gracing Points. It’s about the life changes or transition we experience. It has a section of reading and reflecting. I have only done the first chapter but it has got me thinking. How do I react to change? Do I welcome it or run far from it? And how do I go about trusting God in transition…do I try to do everything by myself until I am finally at my wits end? Or do I start with giving my challenges and uncertainties to Him before I step forward into a new chapter of life? What do you do?
Hey Shar! Nice blog. But so much more to write about! I'll keeping checking back to see when you get to all the other adventures we've been having!
ReplyDelete